Friday 8 May 2015

Art Game Reflection


Allison Wilson,

Art Game,
Medium Computer

May 7, 2015

                  Not many new Technics were used however the assignment was done using flash a program I am unfamiliar with and a lot trial and error had to be used when completing the assignment. We were asked to do make a game with a meaning behind it after brain storming a bit I went with an educational Stress relief theme. I choose a class room because this is where we learn to manage stress and also causes most stress in our lives with deadlines, social problems, work that is frustrating at times and trying to keep grades up to our peers and our parent’s standards. I thought the Classroom would be the best environment to have a fun childlike feel but also hold the connection to stress. The Class room was going to the hallways at first but then I thought I would probably be easier to work with a background that had limited color choices and the black board just sounded and felt perfect.  
It started out as more mental health in general but when I discovered I couldn't change what card matched with  like match a cat and dog, the matching cards had to be the same that matched I had to improvise and so I just focused on stress because that's what usually leads to or is a symptom of mental illness. If there was any influences on the appearance of the game it was the feel of elementary class rooms with different clip art pictures or less than neat hand writing.  Most of the screens in game are symmetrical like the card screen and the main screen however the winning and losing screens are a little more random. I use colors to emphasis different words and titles. I tried to have the eye be able to make its own path around each page but still pay more attention to the important areas. Over all I don't know if it works well as a whole the game works the images vary a lot and the colors are hard on the eyes at times being more harsh than helpful. I do think some of the screens work better than other like the main title has to be the best out of all the screens. I'm particularly proud of the buttons to change screens the smile faces to stars was part of the whole classroom feel I wanted to go for.
Motivation honestly I can't come up with a good motivation right now. I guess I just for the experience to "design" a game and to mess around in a new program if I had more Time I would probably have just finished early then mess around with controls or buttons I haven't pressed yet. Over all I really was kind of only halfhearted on being interested in what we were doing the idea was good making a game with meaning however the limitations limited my ability to pick a subject I liked.  The games we had to choose from was probably the biggest limitation for me. 

The most successful part is problem I really like the look of the title screen and the buttons that let you navigate the game I think they work really well in the theme and look the best. I was surprised when I found such hard time finding clip art that looked good together and how hard it was to work with the cards and pick a theme. With more time I might have been able to find better images or create the images for screens however I can see no major improvements with time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment